[governance] Montreux

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 19:50:19 EST 2011

Thank you Wolfgang, awesome hearing and seeing the events through your
concise report. You guys are all doing a great job!

2011/2/27 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>

> Hi everybody
>
> here are some observations from the IGF Improvement meeting in Montreux.
>
> 1. The first and most important point is that nobody challenged the
> participation of civil society and other non-governmental stakeholders as
> equals in the discussion and in the future drafting of the final report.

   *Awesome! :) This is critical as "watchdog" in light of the diverse forms
of  government where "due process" may not have been followed within their
respective countries and a wider spectrum of views that could have been
considered were not considered before reaching an official position.*

> After the two December meetings of the UNCSTD this was not so obviously
> expected. Even the government of Iran said that it values the contribution
> of non-governmental stakeholders in the process since 2003. *:)*

> There was no hostile climate.  contrary, contributions from all five CS
> reps in the WG were taken as very helpful and reasonable input.
>
> 2. A lot of time was wasted with the discussion on procedureal issues.

*Hmm, I wonder what the procedural issues were, although procedural issues
are critical because sometimes substantive matters may not get heard if
proper procedures are not followed, ie. locus to speak.*

> The discussion on substantial issues circeled for hours around the
> questions of the "linkage" of the IGF. India, Egypt but also Brazil used the
> languge of the UNGA resolution which says that the IGF should be linked to
> the "broader dialogue on Internet Governance". Some pepole in the room had
> the impression that this is not a good language because the broadest
> dialogue is the IGF itself. And there was some mistrust that this could
> become a formula to put the IGF under the "enhanced cooperation" discussion
> in the UNGA. Alternative proposed language was to link the IGF to "other
> dialogues" but India and Egypt insisted in the "accepted language" which,
> BTW, was introduced by the US government during the negotiations in the 2nd
> Committee of the UNGA in New York in November 2010. However both Egypt and
> India accepted an interpretiaton that one of the functions of the IGF is to
> bring information to other dialogues and that this formulation (in the
> headline of Chapter 2 of the forthcoming report) will not include any formal
> sub-ordination of the IGF under "another dialogue".

> My comment here is that it is rather obvious that on the one hand IGF and
> EC are two different processes which are not formally interlinked but there
> are some trade offs on the other hand. The IBSA was not discussed in detail.
> This will remain an open question. Russia proposed again to link the IGF
> with the WSIS Forum but produced protest against any form of "merger". In a
> second interventon Russia clarified that they did not propose "merger" but
> wanted to use "synergies" to avoid the waste of resources. There was no
> support for a closer linkage between the two fora.
>
> 3. The debate about outcome did not create any new ideas. There was a broad
> consensus that the IGF should not become a "negotiation body", should not
> produce any "negotiated language" or "binding recommendations", but should
> produce something which people can take home and read within "ten minutes"
> and show their constituencies as "outcome".

*I agree that the IGF should not become a "negotiation body" nor make
binding recommendations but should be a resource source for policy analysts,
writers, decision makers to allow them to see the diverse perspectives. That
the IGF should be present in meetings and their views should be heard to
allow the technocrats, beauraucrats, autocrats and all the other possible
crats to hear what the other perspectives are before arriving at a consensus
or decision. But developing countries who do not have the capacity may opt
to consider the IGF and give it consultative status and even help to guide
their government positions, if invited to by governments.*

> My impression was that more and more stakeholders, including governments,
> can live with "messages".  The proposed procedure to generate the messages
> was not discussed in detail but the proposal to have nominated rapporteurs
> for each workshop and plenary who have to produce one to three "short
> messages" from the discussion was seen as a reasonable approach. This would
> guaratee that there is a distributed system of messages production which
> would reduce the risk of capture of the drafting by one single group. 50
> workshops would mean 50 - 150 messages from 50 rapporteurs.

*Awesome*