[governance] on Observers at MAG meeting

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 23:51:17 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
>> Clarification below McTim:
>
> Agree with Anriette.
>
> Business/tech community are very effective, strong well coordinated
> participation.  They often present a near uniform voice on issues, support
> each other, build on each others arguments/proposals, and they are often
> successful in getting their views reflected in the outcomes. Not a
> complaint, their professionalism is something to try to learn from and
> emulate.
>
> But I think their successes are somewhat short term. Issue of outcomes is
> one example. There has been clear support from many stakeholders, very
> noticeably developing country governments (and us) for some form of more
> concrete outcome.  This was one of the recommendations of the consultations
> Mr Sha led in Sharm, he saw it as a consensus of the process he led, and
> it's something we hear asked for again and again. And tech/business seems to
> resist at every opportunity.

Maybe because it is a bad idea?

<snip>

> I think business/tech community needs to be careful as to what it's winning
> here.  In the end they may just kill the process. Governments will go
> elsewhere, and we'll all be screwed.

You mean like this:

http://isoc.org/wp/newsletter/?m=201102

IETF and Internet Society Statement relating to today’s ITU-T SG15
decision that will lead to non-interoperability in MPLS development

"Today, the ITU-T Study Group 15 determined a Recommendation that
defines Y.1731 based operations, administration and management (OAM)
for MPLS transport networks. This decision sets the stage for a
divergence in MPLS development; it creates a situation where some
vendors will use the IETF standard for MPLS OAM while other vendors
implement the ITU-T Recommendation for OAM. This situation ensures
that the two product groups will not work together. While the impact
may not be immediate, ongoing evolution along this path will
jeopardize the globally interconnected Internet, which is an
interoperable network of networks."

--
Cheers,

McTim