[governance] MAG meeting

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Feb 25 14:59:20 EST 2011

On 25 Feb 2011, at 20:42, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <p0624081fc98d21dbe476@[10.58.179.68]>, at 02:16:55 on Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes
>
>> And we should ask that the commitment to the rotation of MAG members is honored.
>
> This is one thing that puzzles me. MAG rotation is supposed to be one of the topics that the MAG recomends[1]. But there have been several occasions (this week was one) where the topic seemed taboo. And the final impression was that it was entirely the gift of the UN.

In the past this was up to the MAG.  And with the exception of a few people, most chose not to step down voluntarily.    There was a discussion of rotation most every year, and some MAG members were replaced every year.  I have actually never seen a graph of how many, in total and per group, rotated each year, so I don't know what the facts of rotation are.  I know the anecdotal impressions, but have no idea of what is the case.  Has anyone done the tracking and have informative pictures?

At the point of your puzzlement, at this point all organizational issues that do not relate specifically to IGF 2011 are out of  the IGF and MAG's hands.  Whatever the prior conditions were, all organizational issues and improvements belong to the blue ribbon panel of the CSTD IGF WG.

If they solve this and only this, they will have made great progress.  It is really hard to get a group to remove itself from the core.  Somehow it seems that many of  those who have a special seat will do anything to hold on that seat - though there are some few that do surrender them readily and believe in things like term limits that make it easier to do so.

So you need some sort of oversight group to come around periodically to give these governing groups a little bit of governance, especially on how to rotate.  A 5 year review by a group like the CSTD is probably a good thing for all organizations.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org