AW: [governance] on Observers at MAG meeting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Feb 25 06:55:03 EST 2011

In message
<2DA93620FC07494C926D60C8E3C2F1A8D2BB31 at server1.medienkomm.uni-halle.de>,
at 11:16:04 on Fri, 25 Feb 2011, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> writes

>I have the fear that as soon as governments realize what the Internet
>can trigger (look into the Middle East developments) their conclusion
>will be how to get it under governmental control. We should be prepare
>for such a debate.

I've been having that debate with some governments for 12 years now, not
long before the OECD's Ottawa conference or the CoE Budapest Convention,
or the EU's Electronic Commerce, Copyright and Privacy Directives; and
the ITU has been interested for at least that long.

It's difficult to imagine that any government which sent a
representative to any of these big meetings in the last few years (and
that's most Governments) is unaware of the issues. But some presumably
think that the IGF is not the way to address them.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org