[governance] Provisional suggestion – on the structure of IGF (meeting)

Lisa Horner LisaH at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 07:59:04 EST 2011

Hey

Just a quick response...

The IRP coalition is still alive and fairly well, but is more of an informal collaborative network that works outside of the IGF, rather than something that is part of the formal IGF process.  I think a lack of formal role and links into the organization and running of the IGF is a major reason for this.  Also, and partly because of this, they aren't really seen as useful structures by the private and government sectors, and so mainly become civil society hubs.  They lack formal structures and funding, meaning that everything is done on an ad hoc basis in people's spare time. It takes a lot of energy and resources to make a network or working group work, especially when there's a lack of formal structures for influencing discussions or outcomes (e.g. at the IGF).

I think some kind of continuum process/subcommittees would be a good idea.  But I can't see one being formed around "human rights and internet governance" (thinking of the IRP).  So it'd actually involve a lot more leg work on behalf of rights advocates to make sure that human rights are considered in all subcommittee processes, rather than simply participating in one mailing list/DC meeting.  Which is something we've all been trying to do (e.g. not just go to rights-focused workshops, but  try and raise rights issues in all sessions), but haven't managed to as strategically or in as joined up a way as we perhaps need to.

All the best,
Lisa