[governance] quick draft for IGC comment today on new democracy movement

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed Feb 23 04:50:50 EST 2011

Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus would like to congratulate
the recent citizens movement started in Tunisia and Egypt, achieving
the new form of democracy though their creative use of the Internet
and mobile communications. We take note that Tunisia hosted the WSIS
in 2005 and Egypt hosted the IGF in 2009, both indicate the great
potential of the innovative use of the Internet for democracy.

While we are very much encouraged that these movements are now
expanding into other parts of the world, Middle East and Africa in
particular, we are also very concerned that some governments are not
listening to the real voices of the people and instead trying to
suppress them by the use of brutal forces including censorship and
control of Internet traffic. We express our sincere condolences for
those who lost their precious lives and their families.

We hope that people here supporting the IGF will take special
consideration to these new developments and consider the role of
Internet and its governance for democracy.

We like to propose that Internet for Democracy be one of the themes of
main sessions.

And Chair, Alice responded:

The role of Internet for Democracy is important issue and we should discuss it.

izumi

2011/2/23 CW Mail <mail at christopherwilkinson.eu>:
> +1
>
> CW
>
> On 23 Feb 2011, at 10:33, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> While we have not really discussed about how to express our positions in
>> the event of democracy in Tunisia, Egypt and other countries, I thought it
>> is as shame if we do not make any comments at all as Civil Society
>> at this IGF meeting. So Here I prepared a quick, crude sentences.
>>
>> I plan to read this in the beginning of the open discussion, maybe in
>> 30 minutes or so. But please make any comments if at all possible.
>>
>> izumi
>>

>> Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus would like to congratulate
>> the recent citizens movement started in Tunisia and Egypt, achieving
>> the new form of democracy though their creative use of the Internet
>> and mobile communications. We take note that Tunisia hosted the WSIS
>> in 2005 and Egypt hosted the IGF in 2009, both indicate the great
>> potential of the innovative use of the Internet for democracy.
>>
>> While we are very much encouraged that these movements are now
>> expanding into other parts of the world, Middle East and Africa in
>> particular, we are also very concerned that some governments are not
>> listening to the real voices of the people and instead trying to
>> suppress them by the use of brutal forces. We express our sincere
>> condolences for those who lost their precious lives and their
>> families.
>>
>> We hope that people here supporting the IGF will take special
>> consideration to these new developments and consider the role of
>> Internet and its governance.
>>    http://www.igcaucus.org/

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<

                                  Japan