[governance] quick draft for IGC comment today on new democracy movement

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 04:40:57 EST 2011

Maybe we should state more clearly what we want. A main session?
What were the issues under this main session?
Role that internet plays in democratic practices, regarding free speech and
political resistence as well as approximation between gov and society,
e-gov, e-participation. Better to look on both sides, the last one interests
governments and may garner more support from them.

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> While we have not really discussed about how to express our positions in
> the event of democracy in Tunisia, Egypt and other countries, I thought it
> is as shame if we do not make any comments at all as Civil Society
> at this IGF meeting. So Here I prepared a quick, crude sentences.
>
> I plan to read this in the beginning of the open discussion, maybe in
> 30 minutes or so. But please make any comments if at all possible.
>
> izumi
>

> Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus would like to congratulate
> the recent citizens movement started in Tunisia and Egypt, achieving
> the new form of democracy though their creative use of the Internet
> and mobile communications. We take note that Tunisia hosted the WSIS
> in 2005 and Egypt hosted the IGF in 2009, both indicate the great
> potential of the innovative use of the Internet for democracy.
>
> While we are very much encouraged that these movements are now
> expanding into other parts of the world, Middle East and Africa in
> particular, we are also very concerned that some governments are not
> listening to the real voices of the people and instead trying to
> suppress them by the use of brutal forces. We express our sincere
> condolences for those who lost their precious lives and their
> families.
>
> We hope that people here supporting the IGF will take special
> consideration to these new developments and consider the role of
> Internet and its governance.
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio