[governance] Re: [goverance] Your support for a petition

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Feb 21 17:25:26 EST 2011

In message <BE36991C-A964-48E4-9AF8-FB39588AD2AE at acm.org>, at 18:26:39
on Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>Of course the idea that a single government or even the consensus of
>all governments could stifle free expressions with a veto is an outrage
>from my perspective.

Isn't this much the same as the adage that "freedom of speech" does not
extend to falsely shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater?

>I also think that perhaps there are aspects of this the DOC just did
>not consider.  E.g as one brilliant friend pointed out to me, by having
>the ability to veto any gTLD application, the GAC gains the
>responsibility of having given an implicit approval of all gTLDS it did
>not veto - i.e. the omission of a veto is approval with everything that
>might entail about national law and citizen attitudes and approval.

Another old canard, much beloved of BBS (Bulletin Board) operators when
agonising about whether they are allowed to "moderate" the postings, on
the grounds that if they do, then everything they let through becomes
their liability.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org