[governance] Your support for a petition

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 12:08:39 EST 2011

frere Carlos,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
> In general I agree with Parminder.
>
> I think the document exaggerates a bit:

ACK

"The GAC represents all the
> world's governments, including Iran, the U.S., Russia and China." It
> does not. It is a representation of a bunch of governments in a
> non-binding forum aggregated to a private organization.

right, but the USG seems willing to give this body sweeping,
unprecedented authority.

 As Louis Pouzin
> reminds us, a bullet is missing in the petition:
>
> "• The GAC veto cannot apply internationally because the GAC does not
> represent any internationally agreed authority."

There is NO GAC veto now (but some GAC memebrs think there is, and the
USG seems to want to give it one)

> What needs to be preserved is the advisory nature of the GAC

exactly

> And, please, an independent Russian journalist would have the dough to
> go through the extremely expensive application process?
>
> Hmmm, I think I prefer to abstain.

I wafflled for a few days, but eventually signed, c'mon, you KNOW you
want to ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim