[governance] UN Cybercrime Resolutions

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 07:45:51 EST 2011

Katiza,

My understanding is that there is work going on in the UN first Committee
regarding cyberwar and cyberwarfare. I do not have more information but
understand that the US and Russia in particular are discussing the idea of
"confidence-building measures".

Arms control discussions on nuclear issues were predicated on notions like
deterrence, retaliation, attribution, non-proliferation, etc... But the
military in all countries are struggling to find the proper intellectual
categories for new types of potentially harmful attacks where there is no
easy attribution, little modalities of retaliation, very low financial and
technical threshold for proliferation and a real threat from unknown actors
insensitive to the notion of deterrence for the reasons just listed.

The question of "attribution" is particularly worrysome for state actors, as
the debate about what happened in Estonia clearly highlighted, because of
the potential for uncontrolled escalation. hence the notion of
confidence-building measures.

Any additional information would be interesting.

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Katitza Rodriguez <katitza at eff.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Yesterday, Secretary Hillary Clinton mentioned in her speech that the U.S
> has led the effort to get multiple resolutions passed at the United Nations,
> including one this year. Is anyone familiar with this resolution, and which
> part of the UN she is referring to? ITU? I would appreciate any information
> you may have,
>
> All the best, Katitza
>    http://www.igcaucus.org/

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")