[governance] Your support for a petition

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Feb 18 15:19:52 EST 2011

On 18.2.2011 г. 22:03 ч., Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> And, please, an independent Russian journalist would have the dough to
> go through the extremely expensive application process?
One has to take into account few things.

First, there are pretty rich people in Russia. Probably not as rich as
elsewhere, but sufficiently rich to spend the cash for an TLD, instead
of for some diamond jevellery for the current favorite.

When you have got easy money, it's also easy to spend. The value system
i also quite different and one could want a TLD "just for the trills".

Also, some really rich people might have whatever hobbies, including
journalism. :)

However, I agree that the issue is exagerated a bit. The GAC is nowehere
as representative as it could be. I also note that there is currently an
political inerplay going on between the GAC group and ICANN. Both
parties have their merits. The question is, do we want to be used as
instrument, or weapon in this fight?

The problems stay with the ICANN processes ot lack of these, not with
what desires a group like the GAC has.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org