[governance] UN Cybercrime Resolutions

Sergio Alves Junior sergioalvesjunior at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 22:18:29 EST 2011

Hi, Katitza,

There are no new ITU Resolutions on Cybercrime in 2011. I can only think of
PP-10's, which entered into force this year.

At PP-10, in October, negotiations among US, Brazil, UK, Sweeden, EU, China,
Syria, Iran, UAE, regarding Cybersecurity were intense, but US' position was
to block any effective ITU mandate on it. At the end, Resolution 130 (on the
role of ITU) was revised and a new Res. 181 (on a Cybersecurity definition)
was approved:

- (Revised) Res 130 ("Strengthening the role of ITU in building confidence
and security in the use of ICTs"), originally from PP-02 and PP-06. It
basically states that ITU’s no mandate do not include areas related to
Member States' application of legal or policy principles related to national
defense, national security, content and cybercrime. In these sensitive
matters, ITU's mandate is to foster cooperation, share best practices,
support the establishment of CIRTs. By the way, Brazil successfully managed
to delete every mention to EC Budapest Convention on both Res.130 and 181.

- (New) Res 181 ("Definition and terminology relating to building confidence
and security in the use of ICTs) is an effort to make official an ITU-T's
definition on "Cybersecurity" (Recommendation X.1205), but it was not fully
agreed, as it was developed under a specific technical sphere (ITU’s SG 17:
Security). It was accep

"*Cybersecurity: Cybersecurity is the collection of tools, policies,
security concepts, security safeguards, guidelines, risk management
approaches, actions, training, best practices, assurance and technologies
that can be used to protect the cyber environment and organization and
user’s assets. Organization and user’s assets include connected computing
devices, personnel, infrastructure, applications, services,
telecommunications systems, and the totality of transmitted and/or stored
information in the cyber environment.  Cybersecurity strives to ensure the
attainment and maintenance of the security properties of the organization
and user’s assets against relevant security risks in the cyber environment.
The general security objectives comprise the following:*

*          •       Availability*

*          •       Integrity, which may include authenticity and
non-repudiation*

*          •       Confidentiality*"

In sum, Res. 130 and 181, which were of great interest to US, are not on
Cybercrime, they are on not-Cybercrime. Furthermore, it is not a US propos

If you want, I can send you part of PP-10’s Brazilian delegation report (em
português), where I tried to collect the voices of various Member States
interested in the ITU Cybersecurity debate.

Abraços,

Sérgio

Brazil