[governance] RE: below the societal usage layer

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Feb 12 12:34:46 EST 2011

Hi.

First parminder, indeed very exciting and hopeful times in newest democracy Egypt.

Re mesh nets, llead developer of the new mesh sensor network spec IEEE 802.15.5, Prof. Myung Lee of CCNY (City College of New York) recently joined effort.

As to actually managing all the open pieces, well you all better get to work ; )

But seriously, general concept is a mesh - or grid - can be made across any digital device, resource, application, or service.

So low-power sensor meshes of consumer electronics devices cooperating with each other - I believe the first application space imagined by Prof. Lee - or much larger digital devices - like satellites - can be tied together.  In due course, as we expand beyond the first ~10 universities ~10 companies and a few random other government partners in Portugal, Virginia, and oh yeah OECD.  Which honestly isn't paying much attention to us just yet, beyond agreeing to -watch - while concept grew.

Anyway, in reply both to you and Parminder, at the first instance the draft open spec suite for wireless grids will be set by rough consensus, with admittedly the 2 co-PIs myself and Prof. Tamal Bose at Virginia Tech carrying a bit more weight.

Beyond that it will be to the open/virtual/participatory organization of WiGiT to carry things forward and fill in details like managing satellite meshes from your iPhone ; )

Since conversation on this is continuing on governance list. permit me to invite as many of you as have time to virtually participate in 8th WiGiT Meeting, March 14, held at Virginia Tech.  Draft agenda will be out soon and pretty techie since we are in that early stage of effort, but I will ensure as we always do that there is time in agenda for anyone from anywhere to comment.

Lee