[governance] New gTLD.

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Feb 8 03:23:40 EST 2011

In message
<AANLkTinnb0=Gzq0xFXe94EQqEXQgXFQUAJAZZmWzkmDY at mail.gmail.com>, at
17:49:35 on Mon, 7 Feb 2011, carlos watson <carloswatson at gmail.com>
writes
>Comments about this
>
>http://blog.internetgovernance.org/pdf/USGmonstrosity.pdf
>http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20030854-501465.html

Ultimately, you need to participate (remotely if not in person) at the
GAC/Board meeting in Brussels and hear the arguments at first hand.

As for the case supporting objections: if Germany blocked .nazi at a
national firewall (their national laws might make it compulsory to do
so), some would call that "breaking the Internet" because it defeats the
principle of universal reachability. So their answer would be to make
sure it was never issued, so never had to be blocked. But that does
indicate that there might be quite a long list of such potential TLDs,
and ignores blocking going on today.

And not just because of "morality" issues. Some countries block
skype.com, so you'd expect them also to block .skype; and of course this
is all before we start to consider names which are quite inoffensive in
their native tongue but mean something rude in another (this issue has
been addressed previously by some authorities administering vehicle
vanity licence plates - sometimes there are lessons we can learnt from
other name-spaces, although the trademark name-space seems to have got
its teeth firmly into the issue already).

Finally, I don't think "but they cost $200k and no-one will risk
spending that on an easily rejectable name" is a useful stance, because
I'm not sure a fine of that magnitude for falling at the first hurdle
would be judged equitable, and one day the price may well be only $100.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org