[governance] FW: [] Fwd: IPv4 Address Exhaustion Milestone & Comcast Starts DOCSIS IPv6 Trial

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Feb 6 13:31:38 EST 2011

Avri,
for too long techies have preached IPv6 as an ISP moral duty instead
of making it a user advantage. Now IPv4 is going to be a matter of
business, IPv4 is the future.
Anyway, adressing/routing is to be reviewed and rethought. But we
probably may manage a soft transition : in 82-86 we introduced the
X.121 digital addressing in using numeric names.
What really interests users is IDv6, i.e. global scope sub-addresses
related to a local IP/domain name. NAT66 can support that (a
different animal from NATs).
jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org