[governance] Article on Mashable on the Web and developing countries

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 01:56:11 EST 2011

This is an interesting piece.

*A Pacific Perspective*
 Universal Service and Access is still a challenge in the Pacific region as
its islands are spread out across the sea, and volcanic islands have vastly
different terrain.

Mobile phones have increased the regional penetration rates in the Pacific,
Samoa, PNG, Fiji etc. One of the challenges with the deployment of
communication services is the availability of reliable energy grids. Sadly,
alternative and renewable energy alternatives are quite expensive in the
Pacific and many Pacific Islands telecommunications providers and ISPs rely
on infrastructure that is powered either by their national energy grids or
petroleum (diesel).

In terms of voice, yes, mobiles have accelerated communication and
penetration in remote areas but there is quite a long way to go to enable
the availability of internet access outside cities and towns. Sadly, in the
Pacific, internet is not readily available on the internet except in
suburban areas.

One of the increasing challenges for governments is in having proper
national strategies in place that will enable greater cohesion that is
critical for the state, regulators, licensed operators and civil society
that will ensure that universal service is reached.

Whilst internet on mobile phones is not readily available yet in villages,
sms banking is a popular feature that has really taken off in Fiji recently.
So, I suppose yes mobiles are the way to go but I would not write off
Telecenters in every village, at least.

Different countries in the Pacific define Universal Service/Access
mediums differently, some say Fixed Lines and Mobile Phones whilst some have
both including the Internet, which is why Facebook can never be a human
right in developing worlds until they have basic access to communication,
priority being voice over internet, at the very least.

The Pacific still has alot to do to bring up countries' respective national
penetration rates in all mediums of communication.

Kind Regards
Sala