[governance] Could the U.S. shut down the internet?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Feb 4 18:25:39 EST 2011

On 02/04/2011 01:13 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:

> The text you provide is true. My question remains, within the current
> state of affairs and what has happened to the Wikileaks website and
> the numerous other being taken down under ACTA...

The discussion requires greater precision.

The machinery and web server still runs, packets still can flow to/from
the web server(s).

The thing that was "taken down" was DNS resource record for which the
master source exists in a database run by a US company.  (I don't know
whether the database is on a machine in the US, but the authority to
control that database definitely is vested in a company subject to US
jurisdiction.)

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org