[governance] Could the U.S. shut down the internet?

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:06:44 EST 2011

Hey Karl,

Yeah I always knew there were 'secure' folks doing work for 40 years while civilian side folks either didn't or pretended not to know why exactly DOD thought packet-switched architectures were worth billions back when the b stood for - a lot of money.

So I'm not suggesting any of these bills could really make it all that easy just like that to truly shut things down.

Which definitely is a feature and not a bug, and a tip of the cap again to you and the other veterans for doing a great job back in the day.

Still it's a positive of the Egyptian uprising that US senators - and President Obama, and even DHS - now won't want to be publicly associated with..Mubarak, and/or 'kill/switch' bills.

Lee