[governance] Re: Why the unilateral US control over generic TLD is dangerous

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 2 07:07:29 EST 2011

Hi,

I think Parminder is right, the location of the Registry and the contract it has with ICANN affect where the case will be heard.  In some cases it may end up being registrar, but mostly the Registry is the issue.

Though I don't think we would an International Treaty which implies that governments are the ones who have come to agreement on the modalities, but rather a Host Country Agreement that allows the organization to be run under its own By-Laws with its own defined methods of multistakeholder oversight.

I expect  that Parminder and I, at least, may disagree on this point.  Although it seems that for now, this is a moot point - I see no evidence that ICANN is considering becoming an International organization operating under a host country agreement.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org