[governance] Re: Why the unilateral US control over generic TLD is dangerous

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Feb 2 06:32:24 EST 2011

My bad memory -- I thought the earlier seizures had been made via the
registrars, not registries. Were a number of Cuban businesses caught
via their registrars, not the more recent ICE cases, doesn't matter
this is bad.  And I was wrong.

Makes the process Avri and others are involved with find ways to
support developing country applicants for new gTLDs even more
important: diversity in location of administration is clearly
essential.

Would be helpful if members of PIR's Advisory Council
<http://www.pir.org/about/council> active in the IGC (Khaled, Milton)
could find out what's going on.  Suggest the Advisory Council
recommend to PIR that it move its registered office to Geneva, with
ISOC.  And it would be good to get a reaction from ISOC.  When is the
re-bid for the .NET and .ORG contract coming up, let's make it an
issue.

Perhaps Bill would like to see what the GNSO Council thinks and what
amendments necessary the new TLD process to try and protect against
similar actions by governments in the future. And we all have GAC
representatives, write to them.  There's a meeting of GAC and Board
coming up on new TLDs, this is an issue very relevant to that
process.  Ask our GAC representatives to raise it. Who can contact
Spain?

Adam

(BTW  - as we're all subscribed to the list could we not cc everyone
on every reply, just the list will do.)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org