[governance] Revised version of statement on themes for Nairobi

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 1 05:20:00 EST 2011

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> I'm not inclined to modify the statement on which the consensus call
> has been made

Hm... I think this means that as far as I'm concerned, we fail to have
consensus.

In my view, the need for open standards which must be adequate not
only to prevent perpetuate of past monopolies but also prevent the
formation of new monopolies is an absolutely essential aspect
of what the term "open Internet" should be understood to mean.

I apologize, I mean I'm really sorry, that I did not participate
as immediately actively in the drafting of this statement as I
now wish I had. But please note that I first made the request
for the inclusion of a mention of the aspect of open standards
several days before the consensus call was issued, and that the
whole point of a consensus call is to give everyone the opportunity
to review a draft statement and speak out if, from any one the
verious perspectives represented here, there's something seriously
wrong with the draft statement. From my perspective, this is the
case. The statement "An open Internet is one that supports
development, promotes Access to Knowledge, and resists perpetuating
the power of old media and telecommunications empires on the new
network." is in my opinion so one-sided that it is actually seriously
wrong, unless it is complemented with an additional sentence like
the one that I'm proposing.

When new media and telecommunication empires (think e.g. of facebook
and twitter) become monopolies through lack of adequate standardization,
that is in no way better than the perpetuation of the power of old
media and telecommunication empires.

Greetings,
Norbert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org