[governance] [] Announcement by USG Mr. Sha Zukang on the MAG

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 23 17:38:34 EST 2011

In message <E7D0AE8F-EBA4-4686-9291-472DC8E60441 at acm.org>, at 10:42:30
on Fri, 23 Dec 2011, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>First let me say that I don't have any idea what is actually going to
>happen since it has been almost a year since I last worked for the IGF
>secretariat. My comments are based on past experience, and as they say
>past results are no guarantee of future performance

I have had little first hand experience of the IGF/MAG for a similar
amount of time, so a similar disclaimer applies. Having looked at the
IGF website today I can only see one recorded change in the MAG
membership since 2009 (changing the representative from the Vilnius
host, which doesn't really count).

>I also do not think they should renew anyone who already served 3
>consecutive years or more.

In view of the reduced rotation in recent years, my own list (which I
think is up to date, but see above) shows only 21 MAG members appointed
since 2009 (where three years would be up in May 2012) and 22 since
2008.

I doubt if the "number to stay" mentioned in Chengetai's email is
intended to be exactly those 21 persons, because that means bidding
farewell to all of the rest regardless of their merits.

Therefore I'd advise any stakeholder group to look at all of their
current MAG members when deciding who to re-nominate. Having been in the
process since 2006 hasn't been a bar to re-appointment in the past. On
the other hand, it's completely OK for a stakeholder group to decide to
voluntarily retire all its members except those appointed in 2009 -
which gives the class of 2009 a four year tenure.

But assuming that class of 2009 then all retire in 2013, you'll have 2/3
of the members from then on having only one or zero years experience.
Another reason perhaps not to replace simply on a first-in-first-out
basis.

My current membership tally is as follows:

Appointed in 2010: (1)
Appointed in 2009: 20
Appointed in 2008:  1
Appointed in 2007: 17
Appointed in 2006: 16

[I'm using British English for "Class of" - the year you started, not
finished].
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org