[governance] Plagiarism and intellectual property

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Sat Dec 17 09:21:35 EST 2011

Hi all,

I am jumping in to the discussion to what Deidre and Jovan wrote. I am an
educator and plagiarism always concerned me. The anti-plagiarism software
can be used by educators like me to check papers but it does not disregard
the issue that there is a disconnect of concepts on IP, copyright and
originality. I have confronted students especially with the use of
Wikipedia articles and not crediting their sources. Most of them feel that
since these articles are collectively written, they should be common
knowledge. That's not the point - it's still not their own and they should
at least credit their sources. I see very little remorse and sadly I was
even asked once how to remove the purple lines or hyperlinks to make it
look like non-hyperlink text when they paste them in Word. I almost fell
from my chair.

When I was growing up my view of research was flipping through pages of
textbooks in a library and following formats of citations, especially in
Literature classes. Then I was a senior in high school when I had a course
in Research Methodology. Then digital technology boomed a few years after
and actually re-defined how students understand the concepts of copyright
and originality. This generation of students grew up in an age where
everything seems to be suspended in cyberspace and believed that there
"seemed" to be no author. In other words, it's possibly okay for just
anybody to take. This is a misconception that I always discuss in my
classes. I don't excuse it but I try to understand why. Even when I
confront my students, they're not defensive - they just bluntly take it for
granted. Maybe, their concept of IP and the world they grew up are just not
on the same level of "gravity." If I were to stop this misconception, then
I have to find a solution. So my best recourse is to make a rubric for
grading that allocates bigger credit for "the use of proper citation
methods." I present my expectations; explain it in class and I expect my
students to follow them to get a good grade.  Well, it seemed to work for
years now. I'm only hoping that other professors (they encounter) will
adapt the same method. Maybe if it's not asking too much; maybe this
generation will grow up respecting other people's work and show more
creativity or singularity of their own. We have too many policy-makers out
there but we sometimes forget the very essential job of educating a
generation who are so disconnected. If you have kids, remind them. Ask them
what they did in school and if they mumble something like ".*.doing some
dumb paper.*." -  there's your cue to prod them about school work and
remind them about being creative. You can already tell that most of the
time some students couldn't care less about writing papers - they just want
to accomplish the tasks assigned to them. So they will write without giving
proper credit.

I am not sure if we are to just accept the notion that "grabbing" and
"mixing" is okay or "authenticity" is better than "originality." I still
think that there are creative people out there but if we are to "build"
creative thinkers, we have to change the notion that accomplishing tasks is
not merely doing your tasks to "*get things done asap*." Reading and
writing takes a lot of practice. The teaching pedagogy should involve
H.O.T.S - high order thinking skills - that will synthesize and proceed
original discussions and arguments into original work. This way, students
are less likely to be tempted to plagiarize or to cheat. *For real*.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Charity G. Embley