[governance] Anti-Censorship software from EU for Activists

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Thu Dec 15 10:46:39 EST 2011

Dear Deirdre,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Deirdre Williams <
williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Andrea,
> Thank you for a lesson in being more careful about what I write, and
> particularly about how I choose quotations.
> In fact although both replies were triggered by the article that Imran
> shared with us, neither was intended as a direct comment on either the
> European Commission or Commissioner Kroes. This time my attention was
> attracted by the words "the power of the Internet, and social networking
> in particular, in building freedom and democracy" - I should have
> isolated them from their paragraph.
>
> However I am very glad that you replied, because in your reply the people
> themselves get the attention they deserve which is more often concentrated
> on the technology.
> Best wishes
> Deirdre

Please be assured that it is not my intention to give lessons to anyone. I
am not a native English speaker and therefore I may not always manage to
choose the correct words and tone to ensure that what is meant to be a
factual response does not become an arrogant one. (But I am also told by my
family that I tend to be very "professor-like" when I speak to them in my
own native tongue :).

Jokes aside,  please do take everything I say here as a sincere request for
constructive discussions. We are not, nor do we consider ourselves to be,
holders of the one and only truth, either in this field or in others (we
may have strong opinions, but that's a different matter I guess). We need
all the good ideas that can come up from all stakeholders, whether they are
channeled through the newly-nominated advisor of Neelie Kroes or via other
means.

Best regards,

Andrea