[governance] Anti-Censorship software from EU for Activists

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:25:14 EST 2011

Please help. The reporting of the 'Arab Spring' is confusing and sometimes
contradictory. Unarguably it happened and continues to happen.
Contradictory is the overwhelming credit given to technology for what
happened, while at the same time it is being reported that the technology
is being interfered with, blocked or just plain switched off.

Is the emphasis on technology simply dust thrown in the air to distract
onlookers from the tremendous power of the human will when focused towards
an objective? Do you remember the Rose revolution in Georgia and the Orange
revolution in the Ukraine? Those were attributed to mobile phones
(wonderful advertising for at least one company :-) ) Back then Facebook
was only just beginning.

It angers me when I hear reporters use the cliche, at the sites of
disasters, that people are digging, moving rubble 'with their bare hands'.
Human beings use the tools that are available to them. If there is no tool
they use their own bodies. The tool helps; it may help a great deal, but
without the tool the human will continue. Without the human the tool is
useless.

Kroes said that the Arab Spring had been the wake-up call to governments
around the world to recognize the power of the Internet, and social
networking in particular, in building freedom and democracy.

This is from the Computerworld article - thanks Imran.
Deirdre

On 15 December 2011 03:43, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The European Union plans to distribute new software to help human rights
> activists and dissidents in authoritarian regimes circumvent censorship.**
> **
>
> "Enabling citizens of authoritarian countries to bypass surveillance and
> censorship measures depends on two basic conditions: availability of
> appropriate technologies (in particular software programs that can be
> installed on one's desktop computer, laptop, smart-phone or other device)
> and awareness, both of the techniques used by authoritarian regimes to spy
> on citizens and censor their communications, and of the appropriate
> counter-measures to use," explained the Commission.****
>
> For more detail
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222594/EU_to_give_secret_anti_censorship_software_to_human_rights_activists
> ****
>
> [IAS]    Who others would be using this application?****

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979