[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:40:55 EST 2011

Paul,
I don't see how the argument you so extensively devoted yourself to make
(and with which I agree) is pertinent to the issue pointed out by Sonigitu.

"No matter how dedicated a tiny minority might be in not using contracts
(and thus the contract laws of some country or place) *they will still
claim the legal right to the ownership of their own server, or their own
computer, thus implicating the property laws of some country* or place,
even if this tiny few refuses other legal structures like internet commerce
with its contracts and terms of service with Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, or
the like.  Even this tiny minority on the internet will still claim, very
likely, some kind of right to be free of basic denial of service attacks,
and so forth."

It seems the issue lies here. Implying legal right to ownership of physical
goods (especially is immovable) might be said to be inevitably tied with
the property laws of some country. But what about the legal rights to
ownership of intellectual property?

"there are always "background" laws from some country or jurisdiction that
structure transactions involving the internet."

I believe what Sonigitu, along with others in this list, is pointing out is
that the US Congress, when faced with the choice of whether to make US law
influence to a higher or lower degree the "transactions involving the
internet" in ways that will impact individuals wholly outside of the US
government's legitimate sphere of political power, usually opts for the
first option. And what arguably distinguishes it from the legislators in
other countries is that it takes much less, if any, consideration on how
its choice will affect people in other countries.

Ivar