[governance] A shame for the EC

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:59:09 EST 2011

To my mind it may not be a moral thing... (moral lapses with appropriate
repentance can be "forgiven" at least by some...

Kroes seems to suggest that the reason that she "hired" zu Guttenberg was at
least in part because of his intelligence and savvyness, at least about the
Internet... The fact that he (or whoever ghosted it for him?) didn't seem to
anticipate that someone would run the thesis through something like
http://www.Turnitin.com to my mind indicates a significant lack of both.

I can assure you that the folks that I used to catch doing plagiarism for
their senior essays were generally not the best and the brightest. (The
one's I couldn't catch or rather couldn't prove because they were more
careful at covering their tracks (or paid their ghosts more) were generally
smarter/savvyer...

And I agree with Jovan/Deirdre about a new paradigm about
"plagiarism"/remixing etc.... Open book exams with Internet access rather
than invigilation BUT Ph.D.'s are meant to be "original" contributions to
knowledge (that is the point of them...