[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

Sonigitu Ekpe sonigituekpe at crossriverstate.gov.ng
Wed Dec 14 15:21:50 EST 2011

Thank you Daniel.

The truth is that interest has over taken RESPECT of each other.

The World would give us more than we currently have; if will could put
respect first.

The US do have great interest; and WISH to control an orderly Global
Village.

To me its time to set the Global Village with the rules and regulations for
a more respectful World Societies.

Warm wishes,

Sea

On 13 Dec 2011 09:21, "Daniel Kalchev" <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

On 13.12.11 08:11, parminder wrote:

>> For example, from a policy perspective, the way that ...
The 'technical' consensus is based on common sense and in virtually all
cases wins, compared to the political consensus. The political consensus is
based on promises, that politicians ah too easy make and that are never
fulfilled in reality. But even if fulfilled, they could only serve and
satisfy a minority. There is no evidence of the contrary.

> The most powerful interests are able to veto any progressive change. For
instance, if we were lo...
This is simple. If you go for a consensus, then you need to define whose
consensus. If you go the "democratic" way, and require the consensus of
everyone, as in voting, then the rich people generally "lose" because those
who do not consider themselves rich and will believe they will not be taxed
are more. If you have a ratio of say 1:100 to rich:other people, this is
also politically 'reasonable', because for every rich person vote, you gain
100 'other' votes. Of course, the rich perople typically pay the
politicians to do what suits them, including for the election campaigns so
for the politicians it is really a matter of calculating where the greater
benefit will be. Not the public interest! Not any forward looking planning
and even vision.

> And if large corporates sat at the policy table, will they  let it pass?

Surprisingly, they may. Large corporations have been distorted to the
point, to care more about things like market share, shareholder profits
etc. They do not care much about (domestic) politics etc. So corporations
may surprisingly support more taxes for the rich, if this brings them more
profit (like, the masses having more money to spend on their products).

> I am just trying to make a point that what works in CIR management does
not necessarily work for...
The key difference here is that Internet is global.

> The precise point of my original 'sopa or no sopa' posting was to show
how this is not the case,...
We have to understand two things here:

1. The US has always been 'in charge' of the Internet.

2. This will continue to be so, while everybody prefers to utilize the
services of US based Internet corporations instead of the services of
'local' parties. Funny enough, most such cases are "because we do not want
those local guys becoming important, so we will instead collaborate with
someone abroad, why not that US corporation that offers us so many
promises".

Internet let's everyone be their own masters. It also lets any individual
or a group of individuals have whatever they want relationship with the
rest of the world or any particular party. It gives people ultimate freedom
in communication. Most don't understand this yet, but more and more already
do.

This is all freaking the Government types. And we see all sort of SOPA
things.

Daniel

    governance at lists.cpsr.org