[governance] The Dot Africa Domain Name

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:30:13 EST 2011

On 12/8/11, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/07/tech/africa-domain-name/index.html?hpt=hp_
> c2

This is likely to be a highly contested string, complicated by the
fact that ICANN has opened the door (in the DAG) to
intergovernmentalism by saying that a continental wide TLD like
.africa needs documentation of support from the appropriate body,
which in our case seems to be the AU (hence the AU RFP for a partner
to run .africa).

So at the end of that process, only one bidder will have the
documentation.  Unfortunately, they seem to have approved another
group a few years ago (and rescinded that letter of approval), so
maybe there will be 2 bidders for the string.

A further complication came from the Ministerial in Dakar whose
communique says, in part:

"HEREBY REQUEST THE BOARD OF ICANN TO:  Include (.Africa, .Afrique,
.Afrikia .ايقيرفا), and its representation in any other language on
the Reserved Names List in order to enjoy the level of special
legislativeprotection, so to be managed and operated by the structure
that is selected andidentified by the African Union."

So really, it's anybody's guess at this point.

DCA is pretty good at planting stories in the media, unfortunately,
they are also capable of hate filled rants, the likes of which have
never before been seen in the IG realm (outside of Jeff Williams
perhaps).

http://www.dotconnectafrica.org/yes-campaign/vote-no/vote-no-for-dandjinou/

http://www.dotconnectafrica.org/yes-campaign/vote-no/no-african-union-eoi/

http://www.dotconnectafrica.org/yes-campaign/vote-no/dakar-african-agenda-arc/