[governance] WIPO Advisory Committee on Enforcement

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Fri Dec 2 14:54:55 EST 2011

Anriette Esterhuysen [2011-12-01 17:05]:

<http://goo.gl/X3kLI>

> Are any other governments opposing this?

No member-state _directly_ opposed this. Member-states (such as the Asia
Group) indirectly did so by wanting the linkage between the future work
proposals and Recommendation 45 of the WIPO Development Agenda[1] to be
made clearer, just as I did.

The United States disagreed with this, and maintained that while the
WIPO Development Agenda is something we are required to keep in the back
of our minds, we need not always have to be guided by it or make links
between that and the work that is done clear.

John Curran [2011-12-01 20:36]:
> For those from environments where 'IP' does not mean Intellectual Property, is there a simple definition of “parallel import” available somewhere?

Apologies for that.  I should have remembered.

 [1]: Recommendation 45: "To approach intellectual property enforcement
in the context of broader societal interests and especially
development-oriented concerns, with a view that “the protection and
enforcement of intellectual property rights should contribute to the
promotion of technological innovation and to the transfer and
dissemination of technology, to the mutual advantage of producers and
users of technological knowledge and in a manner conducive to social and
economic welfare, and to a balance of rights and obligations”, in
accordance with Article 7 of the TRIPS Agreement."

--
Pranesh Prakash
Programme Manager