[governance] MEASURING the digital space - whose MEASURES apply, and whose do not

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Wed Aug 31 11:31:23 EDT 2011

Michael Gurstein's reflection on "what and whose measures apply in the
digital space" strikes me as very productive. Having been curious for
quite some time about the extent to which the advent of the Internet
compares to the advent of the movable type printing technology, I'll
offer this conjecture about the implications.

Key measures of human agency in the pre-Westphalian era in Europe
included concerns such as who could get into heaven and who could
legitimately be crowned king, queen, prince, etc. The socially accepted
chain of authority generally led up through officials of the Holy Roman
Empire as the effective gatekeepers of such things. (Keeping in mind
that any given Pope and his appointed agents claim to be acting as proxy
for a divine gatekeeper.)

The Gutenberg revolution facilitated the emergence of sovereign royals
-- and ultimately sovereign nation-states -- who were, among other
things, gatekeepers of national citizenship, contractual regimes, and
property rights within bounded territories.

In both cases, given this view of things, gatekeepers played an
essential role conferring agency within a social structure. Gatekeeping
roles will be no less important in the densely internetworked future.
That why there was such a big fight over DNS administration...
possessing one's "name" was once considered essential to having an
effective presence on the Web. Now we see battles between Facebook,
LinkedIn, Google, other private operators, and also various
state-controlled social networks, all vying to be the gatekeeper of
one's authentic presence on line.

In all of these spaces, pre-Westphalian, Westphalian, and
post-Westphalian, there's a consistent concerning with counting who is
an agent and measuring the relative powers of those agents.

Craig Simon

     governance at lists.cpsr.org