[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Aug 30 14:57:18 EDT 2011

On 30.8.2011 г. 19:35 ч., Paul Lehto wrote:
> I can easily imagine a punchline at the end of a brief recitation of
> the facts of this discussion about whether or not law is necessary and
> inevitable regarding the internet, and the punchline goes like this:
> "And then the gentleman from Bulgaria said LIBYA was an example of how
> we can have the internet without law!" This borders on the funny or
> laughable.

Paul, as far as I am aware, I am the only gentlemen from Bulgaria who
participates in this multi-monologue.

It seems you don't even try to read what others wrote.

As they say in my country: "it would have been funny or laughable, if it
was not tragic"

> Is this Libyan example really a state of affairs that we can support?

I have several observations to make on your positions with regards to
"Libian" and similar cases:

- You have absolutely no idea what it is to have to live trough events
like this. Yet, you give advice and competent opinion.

- You have absolutely no idea how Internet functions, how it is
'regulated' and how it can heal itself. Just a hint: none of this
involves 'governments' or 'law'.

- You asume that Libia (and it seems, Bulgaria too) are sort of lesser
nations. I am not offended - your opinion is yours -- no idea about the
Libian or other African participants here, but cannot ignore the feeling
that you have extremely distorted view of the world.

- One interesting observation from the above is that probably places
like Libia are embracing the Internet, because they recognize similar
pattern -- Internet struggles to survive as much as their society
struggles to survive. Please note, the society -- not the 'government'
or the 'law'.

- Libia will eventually get 'good' laws and governance from the 'western
world', but trust me -- just like the Internet, it's society will
survive. Because those who will try, do not understand that society,
just like they do not understand 'Internet'.

Even if it was not me, who gave the Libian example, I do consider it
very good, from a governance point of view.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org