[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Aug 30 13:01:18 EDT 2011

In message
<CAD=1OvffqByJbjsT+gVAFdTSH9wLg5MEFpufy4W32V9xTub11A at mail.gmail.com>, at
12:35:58 on Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> writes
>I say that just as the printing press has structural laws to encourage
>it (copyright) and to restrict it (defamation and consumer protection
>laws) so too does and will the internet have quite similar laws both
>supporting and encouraging communication as well as proscribing the
>abuses of this communication.

Unless those structural laws specifically exclude the Internet, the
situation is that they will have always applied.

There will always be some difficulties in interpretation - for example a
newspaper editor is responsible for defamations printed in his
publication, but are the IGC Co-ordinators responsible for defamations
appearing on this list?

It's that kind of issue that I've always regarded as the most useful to
study, rather than trying to deny that defamation could apply to the
Internet at all. (Some people do occasionally claim that, for example
citing a "right to reply" as sufficient remedy for the defamed).

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org