[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Aug 29 10:59:25 EDT 2011

On 29.08.11 17:36, Paul Lehto wrote:
> "Understanding the internet" in some technical or even metaphysical
> way is definitely *not* a prerequisite to regulation.

You are correct Paul. Ignorance is not Internet-specific attribute.

However "Internet" -- not the collection of wires -- is different in
that it is very new as a concept to regulators.
(unless you embrace some of the concepts that I outlined in earlier
discussions -- that make it well known, from ages to the human
civilization, just incompatible with modern "democratic" governance models)
It is also particularly troublesome to regulators, because they chose,
almost without exception, to ignore it's existence under the influence
and guidance of the PTT-types (this is why I mentioned the role of ITU
earlier, those are/were very closely tied to Governments and other
regulators). But Internet not only existed and grew, it also became the
foundation of many other tasks, including trade, telecommunications and
everyday social life.

During this lack of interest by democratically (or otherwise) elected
Governments to govern (but also encourage) Internet development, it had
to exist and grow somehow. Various forms of self-regulation or other
form of governance emerged. Like it or not, Internet does develop and
grow without apparent Government regulation and "laws". At the same time
it manages to police itself much better than any Government could even
do in other areas.

This is not to say that some Governmental support for Internet will not
help. :)

By the way, Governments don't understand the Internet, because the
typical regulation relies on the principle "follow the money". Which
does not work with Internet. (again, I am not calling the bunch of wires
"the Internet")

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org