[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Aug 29 07:26:29 EDT 2011

Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> however imperfect, the current
> multi-national system of governance works. It regulates more or less
> global trade, immigration etc. But it does not regulate the Internet.
> Not because of lack of desire, but because nobody in these
> 'governmental' structures understands Internet.

I'm getting the impression though that in a lot of countries,
the executive, legislative and judicative branches of government
are no longer willing to leave the Internet alone. I think
that there are several reasons for this trend: On one hand,
the Internet is becoming so dramatically practically important
that it makes less and less sense to try to regulate trade,
communications, etc, while not regulating the Internet. On the
other hand, the "we don't understand the Internet" caution
among the people in the 'governmental' structures is fading.

> You cannot regulate or police something that you don't understand.

It is however easily possible to create quite a lot of messy human
rights violations and other injustices by trying to regulate and
police the Internet without valid understanding.

Superficial understanding is a dangerous thing, especially in the
context of a highly complex system which is a lifeline for many
people.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org