[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 27 05:42:43 EDT 2011

Riaz

The merits of any particular law being applied is not the issue here. It
is the right of political communities to have systems to govern
themselves, and not be subject to the dictates/ laws of the most
powerful, vis a vis whom people subject to the power/ laws have no right
of representation or redress.

A position on this second issue, which is the intended one in the
present thread, is imp to take, whatever it may be. It should not be
confused with a discussion on the actual merits of a particular law. (In
the present case, you may have a point, but what do you thus imply. US
gov should not be able to apply its politically developed laws to acts
taking place within its boundaries in an area as crucial to public
interest as health. Improving these laws, and removing the influence of
special interest is an entirely different issue which we would of course
agree on.)

... parminder