[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Aug 26 18:13:44 EDT 2011

In message <4E5795FF.5080606 at digsys.bg>, at 15:47:59 on Fri, 26 Aug
2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>According to the 'government rule' opinion, that country's government
>should be able to sue Google and/or the "Canadian" drug sellers for
>breaching their national laws. Has this ever happened? There are lots
>of things, that Internet makes accessible to anyone, including people
>whose local government has decided they are not entitled to it.
>What typically happens is it is the consumer that gets beaten for not
>assisting the law.

Pharmaceuticals are an interesting case because what's normally being
regulated is the ability to prescribe them, not the consumption.

Therefore, there are some pharmaceuticals which are available "over the
counter" in some countries, but a Doctor's prescription is required in
other countries. Similarly there are certain pharmaceuticals which are
available by Doctor's prescription in some countries, but only if you
are on a clinical trial in other countries (where the regulator has not
yet determined that they are safe to use).

If the medical community, which is relatively joined-up worldwide, has
not been able to harmonise these things yet, I'm not sure that those of
us in the Internet Governance space can do much to help.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org