[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Aug 26 18:03:01 EDT 2011

In message
<CACAaNxhDXddECZrwJzc0j_cUS8N8V1uK4j8Vja9XoWNAuHx7RA at mail.gmail.com>, at
14:35:56 on Fri, 26 Aug 2011, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> writes
>Do we as a Caucus really want to advocate that every state, every
>municipality can regulate the Internet globally?

They already regulate the content that their citizens can access,
wherever in the world that content is. This is no different (for
example) to existing laws regarding cross-border selling using
traditional methods.

This should be no surprise, and although harmonising the laws would
arguably make things easier for users, it's going to be difficult to
persuade governments to take similar views on content such as "XXX",
gambling, pharmaceuticals etc.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org