[governance] China supports UK Internet Policy

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:28:40 EDT 2011

On 2011/08/22 02:08 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
> I think you are exaggerating, about SanF, blocking a few mobile phones
> is nothing like a "death penalty". I'm sure that if there was a
> reasonable expectation of an organised riot at a station they'd put
> barricades across the door and instruct passing trains not to stop.

Getting your comms blocked when you have a right to
expression/association is the most extreme sanction.

I guess that the US case of allowing Neo-Nazi's to march through a
popular Jewish area (Skokie) would be regarded as too much of a
provocation too?

Blocking a few mobile phones... is not that serious in a riot? Is it
just me or is there a new tendency to take security more seriously than
individual liberties? Post 911 there is a tendency even amongst
"liberals" to even allow the discussion of whether torture can be
justified in certain circumstances or not (like 911 or in Erik Prince's
Hollywood 24 hours). The default used to be protect my liberties and the
state must make do.

We come from recent history that has seen some of the most egregious
violations and sanitising of them. More circumspection is needed
particularly given how few Northerners took these rights seriously
allowing not only their degradation but there internationalisation.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org