[governance] A Rudderless World: we've moved from an ocean of separate boats to 190 cabins on a boat without a captain

Sonigitu Ekpe sonigituekpe at crossriverstate.gov.ng
Sun Aug 21 23:19:08 EDT 2011

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for this very important issue.

We truly need a Captain!

How do we go about it?

Warm wishes,

Sea.

On 21 Aug 2011 21:54, "Thomas Lowenhaupt" <toml at communisphere.com> wrote:

 See New York Times Op-Ed
b<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/opinion/19iht-edmahbubani19.html?_r=1>y
Singapore's  Kishore Mahbabuni where he says:

 First, the world has changed structurally, yet our systems for managing
global affairs have not adapted. In the past, when the billions of citizens
of planet earth lived in separated countries, it was like having an ocean of
separate boats. Hence, the postwar order created rules to ensure that the
boats did not collide; it created rules for cooperation.

Up until now, this arrangement has worked well. World War III did not follow
World Wars I and II. But today the world’s seven billion citizens no longer
live in separate boats. They live in more than 190 cabins on the same boat.
Each cabin has a government to manage its affairs. And the boat as a whole
moves along without a captain or a crew.

The world is adrift....

Tom Lowenhaupt

    governance at lists.cpsr.org