[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Aug 20 05:58:05 EDT 2011

On Aug 20, 2011, at 12:34 , Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> The reality is whether the company hosting the Application is based abroad, the fact that its reach is in Germany, and where according to the German Regulators, privacy laws are breached then their responsibility is to notify whoever is in breach. It follows then that Facebook can either revise the protocols or web analytics for the German community where they are not in breach.

This reminds me of the times, when it was illegal to listen to foreign radio stations, like "Radio Free Europe", or watch foreign TV programs.

Few things I know of that time:

1. It was fun.

2. Anybody who wanted to listen or watch, did it.

3. Governments spent enormous resources to build anti-broadcast installations to 'silence' those frequency bands.

4. Lots of people were declared criminals, because they were just curious or wanted say, to learn a foreign language.

5. It was used as political tool.

Nothing new under the sun...

> How is the cloud regulated? Is it exempted because it is the "cloud" or is the cloud a "fallacy"?

Internet has been "cloud" ever since it's inception. You have the device in front of you (tablet, PC, TV set, server, mainframe, if you wish) that presents to you the resources that are available 'locally', which may be within the device, at the device's connect point, on the 'local' LAN, on the not-so-local WAN and on the "Internet". Within Internet, by design, the resource can be anywhere, you need to just know the URI and your local device needs to know the protocol.

About the only way Internet can be regulated is to regulate what the end-device can do.

I for one am of the opinion, that it is way too late for this.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org