[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Aug 19 09:01:06 EDT 2011

In message <4E4E3DC2.7090506 at digsys.bg>, at 13:41:06 on Fri, 19 Aug
2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>I understand for many people Internet is just bunch of wires
>interconnected and some people who offer services over that.
>
>If it was that simple, we would not discuss 'governance', because
>regulating bunch of wires is easy -- every government knows how to do
>it.

But only very recently (and even then, not across the whole world) is it
deregulated enough for ISPs to lay their own fibres independently of
regulated telcos. That seems to me to be the tipping point. Although
once ISPs are *allowed* to run their own fibre, telcos will often offer
dark fibre (and better priced lit fibre) of their own, rather than lose
the business altogether.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org