[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Aug 18 03:52:36 EDT 2011

On 18.08.11 09:44, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4E4CB08D.90902 at digsys.bg>, at 09:26:21 on Thu, 18 Aug
> 2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>> The telephone network was regulated by an international oligopoly.
>> Everyone agreed it was BAD.
>> Are you suggesting similar model for Internet governance?
>
> Both telephones and Internet "work" at the most basic level because
> they have an end-to-end model for both numbering and transmission
> protocols. Have you never marvelled at the way phone numbers are
> consistent over the whole planet, and you can plug any phone in
> anywhere? (Something which because quite useful for plugging in
> modems, later).
I didn't really, because I knew how it is all organized.

You never could plug any phone everywhere. Telephone plugs are
different. Exchange signaling is different. Electrical signals are
different. Many modems would not work worldwide. Few did, but had high
prices. You needed to put lots of hardware to make sure your modem would
work in more places. But that is history.
About the only thing you could be sure with the telephone network was
the country codes. In some places like the US, they used area codes,
covering several cities, or several in a city, where in other parts of
the world it was customary to have city codes assigned. There was not
even mapping system like the DNS to help you.

This was all because of limitations of the mechanical switches. The
telephone numbering plan was historically so designed, that by dealing
each digit on an "analogue" phone, with pulse dialing (by the way, they
all had different pulse rate, in different exchanges/countries too), the
relay at the exchange would switch the circuit to the "right" direction
and so on. With the introduction of all-electronic switches these
limitations were largely removed. The typical mobile operator only has
their own code in the numbering plan, typically under the country code
where they are incorporated and more or less flat numbering for end-users.

The phone network did not have anything designed end to end. In theory,
you would get an "voice" channel of approximately 3 KHz, over which you
could sometimes hear the other end, sometimes not. All sorts of
"optimization" technologies were applied over the network, starting from
your local connection (typically in a form of digitizing your voice for
transmission over fewer copper pairs) to trans-Atlantic links
(cancelling echo etc). All this was done by local initiative, that is
the local operator. Or your long distance operator. Sometimes there was
significant interference caused by all this and rarely anybody cared.

In that respect too, Internet is different. The 'telephone network'
required that all intelligence is in the network. The end user only had
an dumb terminal (the telephone device). That is, the operator had to
keep all the control and make all the choices. Also, to make the end to
end "protocol" work.
Interned is so designed, that the network is expected to be dumb, but
the end-nodes are smart. End nodes know the protocol, end to end. End
nodes are in users possession and control and the operator can do little
in terms of 'control'.

Today's telephone network is much different of course. Largely because
of competition, largely because of Internet. Largely because the
original design is already dead.

>> By the way, that telephone network was based primarily on contracts
>> to make it work. Contracts between operators mostly.
>
> Make your mind up, was it regulated by the ITU, or by the operators?

What was regulated by ITU? The country codes list? The interconnect
principles? The interconnect fees? Or the measures to ensure continued
monopoly of it's members? I do not include technical standards here,
because in the argument we have with Paul they  do not seem to
participate in any way.

Who were/are ITU, by the way? Are the ITU representatives
'democratically' elected? By whom? Certainly not by those who use
telephone services! This was my point and it still stands.

On contracts. You remember the e-mail "standard", X.400. That protocol
was very unfortunate to have the "requirement" that every participating
operator wishing to have "mail server" had to have contract with every
other such operator. Why did this happen?
Later, the requirements were relaxed, but it was way too late, because
the Internet SMTP protocol did not impose any such restrictions. Anyone
could set up an SMTP server and send/receive e-mail.
The irony is that the X.400 protocol was better designed than the SMTP
protocol from that time, but... policy killed it.

Who invented the contracts between the PTT and the end-user? If it was
ITU, then how come such an "corporation of corporations" an single
entity, clearly supporting corporate interests, could be the example
given by Paul Lehto for 'democracy'?

I am confident you know a lot about ITU. But can't you see???

Daniel

     governance at lists.cpsr.org