[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting AnIrresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Aug 14 06:31:58 EDT 2011

Hi

On Aug 13, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

> Normal discussion about the liability of intermediaries (which sometimes has a cross-border element) would concentrate on whose fault it was if the coupon was refused *within* the time limit.

Welcome to the new normal, at least here.

Inspired by this discussion, I just bought a half priced dinner coupon at a small local restaurant on Groupon.  We have four months to redeem it.  Per usual, the length of the sale was set by the restaurant.  Of course, the government of Geneva could pass a law saying such coupons cannot expire.  That would leave business like this resto with basically two choices:  in effect, permanently cut their prices by half (for all who see the ad online), or else never offer online sales via intermediaries like Groupon.  At least here, where competitive sales are a fairly new and infrequent exception to the rule, the latter probably would be the outcome.  I'm glad the state has not gone this route, but would not be surprised if the industry associations that have long fixed prices in most markets (some of which are already screaming about people daring to cross the French border to buy groceries at 1/3rd the local price) woke up and called for a ban.  To protect global democracy, presumably.

Cheers,

Bill