[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Aug 4 04:20:37 EDT 2011

Paul,

Like I said before, Internet is different.

Internet is different, because for the first time in (known) human
history, there are no borders and everything/everyone is accessible for
everything/anyone. This is what all human rights principles try to
achieve -- it is a given with Internet.

What you call "democracy" is just an example of hierarchical governance
system. You elect somebody to take care for things on behalf of you. You
give up your own rights by submitting to that form of governance.
The principle is the same, whether that someone is your village's war
leader, your town's mayor, your King or your President. These are just
labels and no matter what the political system is, are just a form of
hierarchical delegation of rights.
Just as much as an King may not care about you, so can any President.
With the King, typically to remove them from power, you need to shed
some blood (or a lot), with a President, you use more "civilized"
political tools -- or not that civilized and somewhat bloody if you
consider recent events.

Any political governance system will be "good", as long as everything
goes well. Again -- look at recent events in Africa.

Do you see significant difference for the ordinary person? Because I don't.

Internet has removed borders. It has already transformed lots of
companies (to more flat structure), killed others that didn't want to
adapt, changed a lot of governments.
Who could even imagine a service like eGovernment from any traditional
democratically elected government?

Internet is all about choice.

> Let's cut to the chase, then.  You've ignored my most important point
> that the *only* source of legitimate governance is that based on the
> consent of the governed via democracy.

Like the majority elects a mayor, president etc. whom I have serious
evidence to believe is evil person, running for the office for
illegitimate reasons. But you see, I am from the minority, my voice is
not even noticed in the celebration of democracy...

That is, I did not submit, or consented to that 'government', but I am
nevertheless obliged to obey whatever they decide to put on me. How is
this different from your fears of commercial terms and conditions
inpacting someone who does not agree to them? At least with contracts,
you have the choice to not sign up -- not so with governance.

But back to your very question. I do not ignore or deny that the only
source of legitimate governance is based on consent. I state this in all
my comments. But I do not see what 'democracy' has to do with this.
Consent is consent and has nothing to do with democracy.

When you speak of democracy, what you consider democracy? The political
form of governance at say national level? Or the community form of
governance within a 'club'?

PS: On re-reading your question, another interpretation occurred to me:

Today, democracy is considered the only source of legitimacy, because it
so happens that the most powerful countries (governments) in this world
call themselves democratic. In other words -- they claim this because it
suits them, and their servants. Everyone is happy now.

Back in time, when kingdoms were the prevalent form of governance,
everybody, including the church claimed that the only source of
legitimacy comes from God and is given only to Kings. Everyone was happy
then.

At that time and also much earlier it was postulated that the only
source of legitimacy comes from power -- being able to slay anyone
around you gave you the legitimacy to declare rules. Everyone was happy
then.

> You cite various reasons for you to prefer non-democratic governance that all sound in the area of "pragmatism."

Interesting, how you came to such conclusion? Could you explain? Perhaps
it is my limited command of the language..

> I had previously given an example of the pragmatic reasons a bribery-practicing industrialist (or whoever) would give for supporting a bribery-based political system, but such pragmatic reasons, whenever they are offered, are morally and politically empty
> of justification and legitimacy.

You need to understand, that ANY political system is bribery based. The
bribe may be different of course. Sometimes, the price will be just
"your name will be remembered as Nth President". I hope you do not
believe the myth that politicians are not human.

> The same can be said for any autocratic type of governance, including but not limited to that of governance by CEO or Board of Directors:  It may "make the trains run
> on time" as Mussolini is mistakenly believed to have always done, but it still doesn't provide any political legitimacy.

That Mussolini did bad things does not mean he didn't make trains run on
time. It may be that he needed trains run on time, for his bad things to
happen.

But how does the ordinary voting person care? :)
They don't care, as long as the bad things do not happen to them personally.

> 1. Where do you get your political legitimacy for your non-democratic
> forms of governance?  Do you deny that non-democratic forms of
> governance are illegitimate when the concern fundamental questions of
> public policy on the internet?

Any non-democratic forms of governance are illegitimate within a
democratic framework.

This of course has nothing to do with Internet, or with Governance as such.

I still have the feeling that when you say "democracy" you view ONLY
"democratic government" and nothing else.

In my opinion, Governments do not understand Internet and therefore
cannot govern it. If they are tasked to govern something that they do
not understand, practice shows they will engage non-democratically
elected parties and the whole talk about democracy becomes non-sense. It
is that simple.

Also in my opinion, Internet as such does not need such form of Governance.
Specific objects and activities within Internet may need Governance.
Most of these are governed already anyway. Most of these are private in
nature and not subject of 'democratic governance'. Some of these aspects
are even governed by Governments. Democratic or not, does not matter
much in their own area of power and control.

> 2. Do  you dislike democracy for policy or political reasons, or do
> you (which may be the same thing) just want to keep democracy "in its
> place" and out of the internet as much as you can?

Democracy is an beautiful utopia, just like many others. The evil is in
the detail.

My standing on 'democracy' is very much neutral. I am just recognizing
that it is the current state of art in governance.

Of course, democracy has it's place. It is applicable in situations
where there is a need to elect somebody to represent you, because you
are: unable, do not care, not experienced, not interested etc.

Internet is different :)
Internet lets you have it as you like. You may have democracy, you may
have aristocracy, you may have dictatorship, anything. All at the same
time. Nothing of this will break the Internet.
Because the parts that make Internet are all private and because deep
into their hearts private people do not accept any form of governance,
or are subject to different governance regimes and because Internet has
no borders, you may have it any way you like. True freedom :)

Here is an example you will surely like: You happen to live in a
'non-democratic' country. But because of Internet you have the ability
to enjoy the results of what 'democratic' countries have done. You live
your virtual life there..
Sounds familiar? Could you imagine it the other way around? Because
Internet has no borders.

Like I said it long ago in this discussion: at the moment you have
democratic (or not) Governments control Internet, a new Internet will be
born. Then they will run to catch the new one again.

You probably do not understand my position. It is not rebel. It is not
anti-democratic.

Frankly, this discussion is not going anywhere. The main problem is that
it always revolves around "we want to (democratically) govern it all".
You can't. You just cannot govern the whole of Internet. Forget about
this and you may have success. Governance needs to be applied to
specific areas and each area may require very different type of governance.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org