[governance] Meeting report ECOSOC presentations

Miguel Alcaine miguel.alcaine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:22:45 EDT 2011

Dear All,

I think a mechanism to allow post WSIS NGOs to participate in the CSTD as it
has been envisaged for Academia and Private Sector may be attainable and
desirable, but NGOs will need Governments to support and to pass such
ammendment.

In all this discussion, you need to take into account that CSTD is one of 6
(I believe) ECOSOC functional commissions. The most open rules for
participation are the ones of the CSTD.

NGOs have the opportunity to follow the ECOSOC accreditation, which I agree,
it might be long and cumbersome. However, there is no procedure for private
sector or academia. The existent procedure only applies to NGOs, which have
been called "civil society" in UN language.

The 2015 deadline comes from deadlines established for the MDG and in the
WSIS outcome documents.

Best,

Miguel

Disclaimer
My ideas are those of my own and does not represent any position of my
employer or any other institution