[governance] Meeting report ECOSOC presentations

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Aug 1 04:09:09 EDT 2011

In message <4E36520D.9010207 at ciroap.org>, at 15:13:17 on Mon, 1 Aug
2011, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> writes

>>    The Dynamic Working Coalition for Internet Governance Mapping, of
>>which     I am a part, is about to launch a survey of civil society
>>organisations     to ascertain their interest in participating in
>>bodies such as     the CSTD     that are currently closed to them.
 >
>  Have those bodies been refused entry to CSTD meetings, even with the
>  current "exceptional" rules?
>
>Maybe or maybe not,

I'll take that to mean "they haven't actually asked".

> but the survey is broader and looks at all of the barriers that impede
>participation in institutions that discuss policy for the information
>society.

A survey of all such institutions is a good idea. I was wondering why
you'd apparently singled out CSTD, when I've found it to be one of the
more open.

> Formal accreditation rules are only one such barrier of many.

In practice, getting hold of the agenda (so you know when to attend[1])
and knowing how to register are also significant barriers. That's
without worrying about the financial issues, getting visas[2] and so on.

>Expect the survey to launch in the coming days.
>We will be asking IGC members to help disseminate it through their
>networks of contacts.  The preliminary results will be discussed at our
>IGC-sponsored Mapping Internet Governance workshop at the IGF, and a
>follow-up paper will be published by Consumers International later in
>the year.

[1] Picking the right two hours from a month, in the recent ECOSOC
meeting is an extreme example, but it's helpful to understand for
example that attending only the right day of a CSTD meeting isn't good
enough and you probably need to plan on staying all week for those
ad-hoc groups which aren't even on the printed agenda.

[2] Despite being able to travel relatively freely as a Brit, I've still
managed to fail to attend a IG meeting because the organisers failed to
produce an invitation letter to support my visa application. So I do
understand the issues.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org