[governance] Meeting report ECOSOC presentations

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Aug 1 02:53:17 EDT 2011

In message
<CACpVkK1A-d5ycSUpTzMZXmeNdw_xy9JhyOBqy5R_ANp4hn6Z8A at mail.gmail.com>, at
13:31:43 on Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>
writes

>Just to complement and make my previous message more clear, what Brazil
>has successfully advanced (after difficult diplomatic negotiations with
>US and Iran) was a request for CSTD Secretariat to make a list of CS
>organizations that wish to participate in CSTD, but do not have
>accreditation with WSIS (text of the resolution quoted below). In the
>meantime, the current unequal arrangement was extended until 2015.

What is the significance of 2015? On previous occasions, my
understanding was that the various deadlines were in place in order for
organisations to apply for ECOSOC Consultative Status (as discussed in
the context of attending the recent ECOSOC meeting).

>In order to make sure that the list will indeed be made and in order to
>ensure that the process of making the list will be transparent, CS
>needs to act. What should CS do

Perhaps the first thing to decide is whether each CS entity wishes to
participate in the "normal" way, by gaining ECOSOC Consultative Status
(which several have already done), or do they wish the 'exceptional'
arrangements to continue.

They should also be clear within themselves whether the reason for being
interested in CSTD is because, for the time being, it is where certain
aspects of the future of the IGF are discussed. Or do these CS entities
wish to become involved in the other activities of the CSTD, either
today or in the future when IGF renewal is no longer on their agenda
(for whatever reason it was removed).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org