On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Apr 27 11:07:30 EDT 2011

In message
<75822E125BCB994F8446858C4B19F0D7173057C815 at SUEX07-MBX-04.ad.syr.edu>,
at 09:10:02 on Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
writes
>> I'm not sure (sorry) what point you are trying to make. I thought we
>> were attempting to avoid some of the confusion surrounding NN by
>> characterising each instance as either Service-based or
>> Participant-based. I'll repeat why I don't think VoIP is normally
>
>The purpose of my comments was exactly to challenge this unhelpful
>division of neutrality into "service" and "participant." One can
>differentiate between the treatment of services and participants in a
>nondiscriminatory way.

Both kinds of treatment are infringements of network neutrality (also
mindful that this doesn't mean everyone thinks a lack of neutrality is
always a bad thing).

But there are so many campaigns being waged under the "network
Neutrality" banner that surely it must be helpful to try to categorise
them in some way.

For example, a network that wants to surcharge certain content providers
for the pleasure of delivering their content to its (the network's)
eyeballs, is a completely different issue to a network having a
blacklist of websites whose politics or commercial attraction offend its
(the network's) masters, or the situation where a network seeks to
restrict non-time-sensitive bulk transfers during busy-hours so that
real-time content deemed more important to the network's users can be
delivered in better shape.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org