On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Apr 25 17:10:54 EDT 2011

There are 2 reasons for blocking continuing, only one of which is market-related.

The other reason is...governments.

Which  may prefer that all voice calls are channeled through specific mechanisms which are easier for them to overhear.

Not that it is impossible to do with VoIP.

So still today, whether blocking is being done at behest of commercial providers, or other government agencies, or both, may vary.

As incumbent telcos have clout, so do particular agencies.

Like, in particular, the ones that like to listen in to calls, whether VoIP or circuit switched.

Lee